Cynthia Nixon Was Late To Her Governor Campaign Launch Because Of The Subway And Took Aim At Cuomo

A day after announcing her run for Governor of New York, actor Cynthia Nixon was late to her first campaign event on Tuesday because of subway delays.

“I literally had to get off three separate trains and that doesn’t include when we were able to stay on the trains but just sit in the tunnel,” Nixon told a New York Times reporter.

When asked if she thought the delay represented an auspicious beginning to her campaign, Nixon replied, “I think it is a quintessential moment in Cuomo’s MTA daily life.”

The native New Yorker addressed subway delays in her speech in Brownsville, Brooklyn, on Tuesday morning, taking aim at Gov. Andrew Cuomo, whom she is challenging for the Democratic nomination.

“We need to fix our broken subway. You know that and I know that because we are on it every day, unlike Governor Cuomo,” Nixon said. “The subway is the lifeblood of our city. If the subway dies, so does New York and right now our subways are on life support.”

The former Sex and the City actor spoke about a number of issues, from racial inequality to improving public school systems, as well as enforcing minimum wage laws and ending “mass incarceration and the over-policing of communities of color.”

Nixon, who is seeking to run against Cuomo from the left, also criticized the governor and other New York lawmakers for being too close to big business.

“We are tired of corruption and dysfunction in Albany, and we are tired of fake corporate Democrats who won’t lift a finger unless their donors say it’s okay,” said Nixon, who vowed that her campaign would not accept “a single dime of corporate money.”

When asked about Nixon’s possible run for Governor earlier this month, Cuomo joked on a conference call, “It was either the mayor of New York or Vladimir Putin.”

“Normally name recognition is relevant when it has some connection to the endeavor,” Cuomo said. “If it’s just about name recognition, then I’m hoping Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, and Billy Joel don’t get into the race.”

Christine Quinn, former New York City Council Speaker and an openly-gay supporter of Cuomo, told the New York Post on Tuesday that Nixon is an “unqualified lesbian” and called the race “a flight of fancy on her part.” (Nixon supported Bill de Blasio over Quinn in the 2013 mayoral race).

“Cynthia Nixon was opposed to having a qualified lesbian become mayor of New York City,” Quinn told the Post. “Now she wants an unqualified lesbian to be the governor of New York. You have to be qualified and have experience. She isn’t qualified to be the governor.”

There has been speculation Cuomo will appoint Quinn as his running mate.

Sex and the City actor Kristin Davis, who played Charlotte on the hit HBO series, tweeted her support for her former costar’s campaign on Monday.

Representatives for Sarah Jessica Parker (Carrie Bradshaw), Kim Cattrall (Samantha Jones), and David Eigenberg (Steve Brady) did not immediately respond to requests for comment on whether they would also endorse Nixon. A representative for Chris Noth, who played Mr. Big, said the actor was currently working overseas and could not be reached, “but he loves Cynthia.”

A Judge Just Struck Out The Daily Telegraph's Defence Of Truth In Geoffrey Rush's Defamation Case

A judge has struck out large parts of The Daily Telegraph’s defence in the defamation case brought by film star Geoffrey Rush, saying it lacked crucial details and could not prove the allegation that Rush had “inappropriately touched” a coworker during a Sydney Theatre Company (STC) production of King Lear.

The judge also dismissed a subpoena to the STC from the newspaper, labelling it a “fishing expedition” to try and find material to support its case.

Rush is suing the publishers of The Daily Telegraph and journalist Jonathon Moran over two articles published in late November 2017 alleging a complaint had been made about Rush’s “inappropriate behaviour” towards a woman cast member during the 2015-16 production.

Rush claims the newspaper coverage suggested, among other things, that he is a “pervert”, that he acted as a “sexual predator” on the set of King Lear, and that he engaged in “scandalously inappropriate behaviour of a sexual nature” in the theatre.

In its defence, the newspaper argued that Rush had touched a woman actor in a way that made her feel “uncomfortable” in a January 2016 production of the play, as Rush, playing King Lear, carried her across the stage while “she simulated the lifeless body of Cordelia”.

The defence alleged that the touching continued over the next four days after the woman told Rush to “stop doing it”.

In the Federal Court on Tuesday morning, Justice Michael Wigney said the defence of truth offered by the newspaper was “inadequate and insufficient”.

“What part of Mr Rush relevantly touched the actress?” Wigney asked. “Was it one or both of his hands or some other part of his body? And what part of the actress’ body was touched? What was the nature and duration of the touch? If Mr Rush was required to carry the actress, he would obviously have to have some contact with parts of the actress’ body.

“What exactly distinguished the alleged touch from the contact that must otherwise have been made between Mr Rush and the actress during the scene? How and why did the alleged touch make the actress feel uncomfortable? Was the discomfort physical or emotional?”

Wigney also struck out part of the defence based on qualified privilege (a legal argument in which The Daily Telegraph and Moran have to prove their publication of the articles was reasonable under the circumstances).

He axed three paragraphs from the qualified privilege defence, saying they were “ambiguous and likely to cause prejudice or delay”, but allowed the rest.

The Daily Telegraph’s defence was temporarily suppressed from the public as Rush’s lawyers argued it would allow media to spread further allegations against their client with impunity.

But at the last hearing, Wigney declined to make a confidentiality order on the defence, parts of which have now been struck out.

He noted on Tuesday that the principle of open justice overrode Rush’s embarrassment at further allegations being aired.

“It is the price of open justice that allegations about individuals are made in open court,” Wigney said.

The matter returns to court on March 27 for a case management hearing.

Netflix's “On My Block” Brings Young People Of Color Into The Limelight — Finally, Cast Says

The new Netflix series On My Block brings a lot of the usual coming-of-age storylines to the screen — issues of angst, puberty, internal strife — but in the traditionally white space of young adult television, the cast cuts a unique path.

“The obvious thing that makes our show so different right now is we have four main characters of color, which isn’t represented as much on TV,” Brett Gray, who plays Jamal on the series, told BuzzFeed News. “A coming-of-age story that you would normally see might just be the qualms of high school and the qualms of growing up and puberty and finding yourself, but on top of that we’re minorities in an underprivileged neighborhood in an inner-city.”

On My Block follows Gray’s Jamal, Cesar (Diego Tinoco), Ruby (Jason Genao), and Monse (Sierra Capri), as they navigate their freshman year of high school in the fictional city of Freeridge, California. The show, which premiered March 16, was co-created by Eddie Gonzalez, Jeremy Haft, and Lauren Iungerich — who also created MTV’s Awkward.

The YA world is so white,” Iungerich told BuzzFeed News. “And just thinking about all the shows that are currently on a lot of channels and the iconic shows about teen years, including my own show Awkward, they’re mostly through a white prism. Now, we’re getting to see these kids from a different slice of life and we get to see representation of their experience, which is not a bleak and negative experience.”

The cast of On My Block is made up of black and Latino teen actors who portray storylines about a range of experiences, including family struggles, quinceañeras, gang violence, and young love. Iungerich said she was thrilled the show gives kids an opportunity to see themselves on TV in a way that other predominantly white TV shows haven’t.

“I just think that it’s time to see more inclusion in TV,” Iungerich said. “I love the YA space and really wanted to work with writers and co-create the show with someone from that world to be able to do justice to these kids who haven’t had representation.”

Gonzalez was born in Compton, California, and raised in Lynwood. Representation of young people of color is important to him because “it’s been an underserved community for years.”

“When you do see the inner-city portrayed in either film or TV, it’s usually this bleak outlook,” Gonzalez said. “I can tell you having grown up there, that’s not what it’s like. Yes, there’s a lot of danger, there’s violence, there’s drugs, but there’s also a lot of positive things. These kids have great aspirations and are hopeful.”

Tinoco, whose character grapples with the reality of joining a gang out of family loyalty, said he doesn’t think stories like On My Block are being told enough.

“Latino, African-American, and Asian kids are growing up in these circumstances,” he said. “This is really happening out there in the world in the real lives of kids our age, and people aren’t as exposed to it as much they should be.”

Gray said it’s important to make shows like On My Block in order to contribute to positive representation of people of color “because they exist … and have the right to feel validated and appreciated.”

“I hope young people of our ethnicity can feel comfortable that there are people on TV representing them,” Gray said. “I hope they’re proud of what we have given, and I hope they feel it’s just as authentic as we do.”