Marcus Jones

Celebrities Are Sending Love To Aretha Franklin After Reports That She's Seriously Ill

Everyone from Mariah Carey to Marlee Matlin has been sending well-wishes to the Queen of Soul.

Posted on August 13, 2018, at 3:16 p.m. ET

A person close to Franklin told the AP on Monday that the singer is seriously ill, but no other details about her condition were provided. A representative for the singer did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A Handful Of “Talking Dead” Staffers Have Quit Ahead Of Chris Hardwick's Return

Arts & Entertainment / trending

The post Walking Dead talk show even lost a female executive producer in advance of the host’s return after being investigated by AMC Networks over abuse allegations by his ex-girlfriend.

Posted on August 10, 2018, at 8:02 p.m. ET

However, AMC reinstated him last month after conducting an internal investigation, and NBC followed suit.

The network said that after reviewing the investigation’s findings, they had determined that Hardwick returning to work “is the appropriate step.”

“We take these matters very seriously and given the information available to us after a very careful review, including interviews with numerous individuals, we believe returning Chris to work is the appropriate step,” AMC said in a statement to BuzzFeed News.

The Wrap also reported Friday that Hardwick had an emotional meeting this week with the Talking Dead staff and made himself available for one on one meetings.

Kanye West Elaborated On His Love Of Trump On Jimmy Kimmel Live Before Talking Bipolar Disorder

Arts & Entertainment

“Liberals can’t bully me. . . I actually quite enjoy when people actually are mad at me about certain things,” the rapper said.

Posted on August 10, 2018, at 1:18 a.m. ET

“People got really mad when you were — well, some people were very happy when you said you liked President Trump. Do you like, do you think he is a good president?” Kimmel asked.

West then launched into a very West explanation:

“Just as a musician, African-American, guy out in Hollywood, all these different things, you know, everyone around me tried to pick my candidate for me, and then told me every time I said I liked Trump that I couldn’t say it out loud or my career would be over, I’d get kicked out of the black community because blacks are supposed to have a monolithic thought — we can only be Democrats and all…. And it took me a year-and-a-half to have the confidence to stand up and put on the hat.”

West added that “I actually quite enjoy when people actually are mad at me about certain things.”

“You must enjoy it, yeah,” Kimmel quipped.

“I actually quite enjoy it,” West responded.

Casey Affleck Addresses Sexual Misconduct Allegations And Says #MeToo Has Taught Him To “Keep My Mouth Shut And Listen”

“First of all, that I was ever involved in a conflict that resulted in a lawsuit is something that I really regret,” Affleck told the AP. “I wish I had found a way to resolve things in a different way. I hate that.”

Elaborating on exactly what he felt he needed to take culpability for regarding the issues with I’m Not Here, the actor said he contributed to the unprofessional environment and tolerated behavior that he wishes he hadn’t.

“The cast was the crew and the crew was kind of the cast and it was an unprofessional environment and, you know, the buck had to stop with me being one of the producers and I have to accept responsibility for that and that was a mistake,” he said. “I don’t even know if I thought of myself as the boss. But I behaved in a way and allowed others to behave in a way that was really unprofessional. And I’m sorry.”

“I think it was the right thing to do just given everything that was going on in our culture at the moment,” he said.

As far as his personal experience fitting into the bigger picture of how Hollywood is changing, Affleck said he’s learned to be a better listener.

“I know just enough to know that in general I need to keep my mouth shut and listen and try to figure out what’s going on and be a supporter and a follower in the little, teeny tiny ways that I can,” he said.

At the same time, he added, the women who have been “underrepresented and underpaid and objectified and diminished and humiliated and belittled” should lead the conversation.

Evangeline Lilly Said She Was Pressured Into Doing Partially Nude Scenes On “Lost”

Arts & Entertainment

The Ant-Man and the Wasp star said she was “basically cornered into doing a scene partially naked, and I felt had no choice in the matter.”

Posted on August 2, 2018, at 8:36 p.m. ET

During an interview for The Lost Boys podcast, Evangeline Lilly said she felt pressured to do partially nude scenes in Season 3 and 4 on the hit ABC drama Lost, on which she played Kate.

The LOST Boys are back with TWO episodes! First up – our candid interview with Kate herself, Evangeline Lilly Available now on iTunes & Soundcloud: https://t.co/4cNdzhlAKp & https://t.co/IJy6JkttBO #lost #evangelinelilly https://t.co/h2B3XDL8UY

11:17 AM – 31 Jul 2018

The LOST Boys / Via Twitter: @LostBoysPod

“In Season 3, I’d had a bad experience on set with being basically cornered into doing a scene partially naked, and I felt had no choice in the matter,” Lilly said, adding that she felt “mortified.”

“I was trembling when it finished,” she said. “I was crying my eyes out.”

But the problem of filming an undressing scene came up again for Lilly in Season 4.

“I fought very hard to have that scene be under my control. And I failed to control it again,” Lilly said.

After filming that scene, she said she told writers and producers, “‘You can write whatever you want — I won’t do it. I will never take my clothes off on this show again.’ And I didn’t.”

Lilly, who recently starred in Ant-Man and the Wasp, said she has now been working long enough that she can say no to nudity— and not because there is anything wrong with it, she just doesn’t trust she can be “comfortable and safe.”

Via instagram.com

Lilly said she is more concerned for actors who are not in a position to say no. “I’m lucky; I’m in a privileged position because I can be picky. I feel for women who are struggling to come up in the industry and don’t know how to navigate that.”

Via instagram.com

Lilly added that she felt the arc of Kate on the show robbed her of her autonomy by putting her in a love triangle between Jack (Matthew Fox) and Sawyer (Josh Holloway).

Mark Seliger / Vanity Fair

“I felt like my character went from being autonomous, really having her own story and her own journey and her own agendas, to chasing men around the island. And that irritated the shit out of me,” the actor said. “I did throw scripts across rooms when I read them because I would get very frustrated by the diminishing amount of her own story that there was to play.”

ABC had no comment on Lilly’s story, but in a statement to BuzzFeed News, Lost executive producers JJ Abrams, Jack Bender, Carlton Cuse, and Damon Lindelof apologized for Lilly’s experience on the show.

Frederick M. Brown / Getty Images

“Our response to Evie’s comments this morning in the media was to immediately reach out to her to profoundly apologize for the experience she detailed while working on Lost,” they said. “We have not yet connected with her, but remain deeply and sincerely sorry. No person should ever feel unsafe at work. Period.”

BuzzFeed News has reached out to Lilly’s representatives for comment.

Terence Nance Relates To Kenya Barris Dodging TV's “White Supremacist Shit”

Terence Nance, creator of HBO’s new fantastical black variety show Random Acts of Flyness, shared on BuzzFeed News’ show Profile that he could relate to Kenya Barris navigating through “wild white supremacist shit” when dealing with TV networks.

When asked about the Black-ish creator’s confirmed exit from his ABC deal, Nance said that if ABC had Roseanne Barr, an “out-and-out white supremacist on the air saying shit,” in its lineup, there was likely more drama at the network that people didn’t know about.

Nance then shared his own story of dealing with “wild white supremacist shit” from an executive who discouraged him from having a biracial main character in one of his projects because “America doesn’t know that story.”

Nance had a straightforward response to that situation: “Well, I guess I’m not doing this with y’all. We ain’t working together.”

He was quick to say he’s happy to work with HBO: “They’re coming to what I’m doing as opposed to me kind of like going to the platform to make something that is for what they think their audience might be.”

With the launch of his new show this week, Nance will be taking his place alongside other black television creators, like Issa Rae, Donald Glover, and Barris.

And he had a playful, though not-unserious, bit of advice to others looking for their own breakouts: “There’s a lot of guilt in the air because of what happened in the elections so I think that you can capitalize on guilt.”

Octavia Spencer Is Making A Madam C.J. Walker TV Show For Netflix

arts & entertainment

Spencer will produce and star as the first self-made female millionaire for an eight-episode limited series on Netflix.

Posted on July 29, 2018, at 2:38 p.m. ET

Walker, one of America’s most influential black business owners and the first self-made female millionaire, innovated the black haircare industry for women.

While it’s a misconception that she invented the hot comb, Walker did make important improvements to it in addition to making a whole haircare system that made it safer for black women to straighten their hair.

Walker also implemented a sales agent system that she used to educate other black women on how to be financially independent and entrepreneurial themselves. In life, Walker donated around $100,000 to various black institutions like the NAACP and the Tuskegee Institute. When she died in 1919, she made it her will to donate a solid majority of her future net profits to charity.

The series, Madam C.J. Walker, will begin shooting next year.

Bobby Brown Just Denied Getting Violent With Whitney Houston: “The Public Record Is Wrong”

While promoting BET’s The Bobby Brown Story, Brown denied there ever being any 911 calls claiming he hit Whitney Houston, even after being read back the police report.

Posted on July 27, 2018, at 2:53 p.m. ET

Phillip Faraone / Getty Images, Frederick M. Brown / Getty Images

Bobby Brown at the summer 2018 Television Critics Association press tour.

Bobby Brown on Friday fully denied there ever being any 911 calls about him hitting his former wife Whitney Houston, despite being read the police report.

Brown’s gave his denial at the Television Critics Association summer press tour to promote BET’s The Bobby Brown Story, a three-episode series on his life and career, from leaving boy band New Edition to launching a solo career in 1986.

During the panel discussion, Brown said he had no regrets about his past. But when asked if that extended to allegations that he physically assaulted Houston in 2003, Brown was quick to respond.

“There was no violent incidents between me and Whitney,” he said.

The television critic noted that there had been 911 calls, to which Brown responded, “No there wasn’t [any 911 calls]. You’re mistaken. You’re completely wrong. You’re completely wrong.”

However, that year, Brown was charged with battery for an alleged altercation with Houston. And after a visibly bruised Houston eventually appeared alongside Brown when he turned himself in to authorities, her publicist issued a statement saying he was “very apologetic about what happened and hopes his wife forgives him.”

John Amis / Associated Press

Whitney Houston enters the courtroom with husband Bobby Brown on Aug. 27, 2003.

But that and other records, including the 911 call, didn’t appear to matter to Brown on Friday, who told the audience: “The public record is wrong.”

The panel came to an abrupt end after the portion meant for more questions was canceled within seconds.

Brown is no stranger to denial. In the recent documentary Whitney, the singer shut down an interview with the director as soon as any talk of drug use came up.

Brown recently announced he would be opening up a domestic violence shelter in honor of his late daughter with Houston, Bobbi Kristina Brown.

Here’s What We Learned And Saw At The Wonder Woman 1984 Comic-Con Panel

Arts & Entertainment / comiccon

How Steve Trevor is alive is still a mystery, but they did play a clip!

Last updated on July 21, 2018, at 5:57 p.m. ET

Posted on July 21, 2018, at 5:53 p.m. ET

Chris Delmas / AFP / Getty Images

While we didn’t learn anything about how Steve Trevor (Chris Pine) survived an exploding plane, director Patty Jenkins and her two lead stars did use an appearance at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday to share some insight on what to expect from the sequel to Wonder Woman (including a clip!) — and explained why it’s set in 1984.

Jenkins says she very much enjoyed what the setting of World War I setting brought to the first film because “when you dig into these eras, they, as metaphors, really symbolize things that are true always.”

Of the year 1984, she said, “There was something about that time that was such the beginning of modernity and the mechanized world.”

Jenkins said that she herself grew up in the 80s and wanted to set Wonder Woman 1984 during that time “because it a really was mankind at its best and worst.”

“There was a lot of elegant and beautiful and incredible things about the 80s too, at the same time as we were revealing the worst of us,” said the director, explaining that she wanted the audience to see Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) “in a period of time that’s really us at our most extreme.”

The film has only been in production for a few weeks, but still Jenkins was able to treat the Hall H audience to a completed scene giving a taste of all the elements Jenkins noted made up why the sequel is an 80s movie.

The scene started with the camera panning up to Diana in her Wonder Woman costume standing in the middle of a sleek 80s shopping mall blocking two men with guns from pointing them at a little girl.

Wonder Woman knocks the little girl back into the safety of a giant teddy bear outside a storefront, advances towards the two armed crooks, and crushes their handguns with her bare hands before pulling out her lasso of truth to tie them up and using them as an anchor to swing down to the ground floor of the mall.

After the clip played, Jenkins said that the challenge of avoiding the stigma of sequels was one of the reasons she was drawn to working on Wonder Woman 1984.

“If we can make a movie about something completely new, pure, and strong, and as unique in its own right as the first one, of course I would want to do that,” she said. “So to me it’s an interesting experience to all be together again making it, but it’s not more of anything, even though of course it’s evocative of all of those same things that happened the last time.”

Gadot also stressed that Wonder Woman 1984 intended to be its own standalone movie.

“The way we all look at it is it’s not a sequel — it is it’s own story, it’s a different chapter, it’s a whole new movie,” she said. “For all of us, when we approach it, every day that we come to set, we come and we give our best, and the bar is very, very high, but our aspirations are even higher, so we just give it everything we have really hoping what we bring, you guys will love.”

The First “Aquaman” Trailer Dropped At Comic-Con And It's A Wet Hot Adventure

Arts & Entertainment / trending / comiccon

Jason Momoa is tasked with stopping a war between the Atlanteans and the land-dwellers.

Posted on July 21, 2018, at 3:54 p.m. ET

The second trailer focused much more on Aquaman’s adventures on land starting with some voiceover from Nicole Kidman, who plays his mother, Queen Atlanna, explaining how young Arthur Curry was born to unite the people of both land and sea. The trailer then cuts to a sequence with adult Arthur Curry/Aquaman explores the Sahara with Mera (Amber Heard), finding some ruins where they hear a message from the former King of Atlantis preaching more unity.

The action really kicks in with two cutscenes not fully shown in the main trailer with Aquaman and Mera running through ruins trying to escape the lasers of Black Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) and his cohorts, and then Queen Atlanna in her house on earth kicking some Atlantean ass with her own trident.

The secret trailer expands a bit on the war Atlanteans are raging on the rest of Earth, and flashes quickly to an Atlantean Willem Dafoe, but the big reveal is Aquaman accepting his role as Prince of Atlantis at the end and donning a skintight crystalline version of Aquaman’s iconic orange and green costume with a trident in hand.

The film comes out on Dec. 21.